In an effort to make up for the horrendously distracted Mama I’ve been this week (a combination of sleep deprivation, work & The FEAR) I promised Maisie we’d bake today. Only to discover the only thing I really had in the fridge were a couple of courgettes that needed eating.
Amazingly I discovered this delicious recipe in my Cake Angels cookbook and considering that Maisie’s already eaten two and wants another I reckon they’re a hit!
A couple of tips – grate your courgettes with as fine as a grater as you can (I used a parmesan grater) and they may need a bit longer than the recipe calls for – ours did but I’m not 100% sure about our oven. The recipe calls for walnuts but I supplemented raisins & if you don’t want to make wheat free ones just use self raising flour and omit the xanthan gum!
215g wheat & gluten-free self-raising flour (Dove’s farm all the way!)
1 tsp of Xanthan gum
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Pinch of ground cloves
160g soft light brown sugar
100ml vegetable oil
1 large egg
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon zest
325g courgettes, grated
- Preheat oven to 180C, line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, xanthan gum, bicarbonate soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg & cloves.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a balloon whisk to beat together the sugar, oil, egg, vanilla & zest until well combined and smooth. Stir in the grated courgette.
- Gradually fold in the flour mixture & raisins using a large spoon until just combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly amongst the muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 -25 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Let cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack
You can also make a lovely orange glace icing by mixing 1tbsp of orange juice with 100g of icing sugar (we did – DELICIOUS!)
So there you go – yummy cupcakes FULL of veggies. How brilliant!